Vylar Kaftan writes speculative fiction of all genres, including science fiction, fantasy, horror, and slipstream. She won a 2013 Nebula Award for her novella “The Weight of the Sunrise”, as well as a 2013 Sidewise Award for Short-Form Alternate History. She was also nominated for a 2010 Nebula Award for her short story “I’m Alive, I Love You, I’ll See You in Reno.”
Her stories have appeared in Lightspeed, Strange Horizons, Asimov’s, and Clarkesworld. Her work has been reprinted in Horror: The Best of the Year, honorably mentioned in The Year’s Best Fantasy and Horror, and shortlisted for the WSFA Small Press Award.
A graduate of Clarion West, she’s volunteered for that group as well as the Little Owls mentoring program for young writers. She’s a member of SFWA, Codex, Broad Universe, and the Carl Brandon Society. In 2011, she founded FOGcon, a new literary-themed science fiction and fantasy convention in the San Francisco Bay Area.
She lives with her husband Shannon in northern California. Her hobbies include modern-day temple dancing and preparing for a major earthquake. Her favorite color is all of them. She prefers the term “differently sane.”
To read her work, see the Bibliography page.
- 8-16-14 "The Weight of the Sunrise" won the Sidewise Award for Short-Form Alternate History!
- 6-12-14 "Ink of My Bones, Blood of My Hands" published at Beneath Ceaseless Skies.
- 6-6-14 "The Weight of the Sunrise" is a finalist for the Sidewise Award for alternate history!
- 6-2-14 Sale to Help Fund My Robot Army anthology.
- 5-17-14 "The Weight of the Sunrise" won the Nebula Award for Best Novella of 2013!
- 5-5-14 "The Weight of the Sunrise" is a finalist for the Sturgeon Award!
- 2-24-14 "The Weight of the Sunrise" is nominated for a Nebula!
- 1-31-14 "Spellsketching" published at Daily Science Fiction.
- 12-16-13 "Through the Cooking Glass" reprinted at Toasted Cake.
- 12-4-13 "Christmas Wedding" reprinted at GigaNotoSaurus.
- 12-4-13 Sale to Beneath Ceaseless Skies.
- 10-4-13 Sale to Kaleidoscope anthology.
- 10-1-13 Sale to Daily Science Fiction.
- 8-17-13 Posted Worldcon schedule.
- 6-1-13 "Two-Minute Warning" published in Glitter & Mayhem.
Read Older News